NaSBA – Spring News Letter – Interesting Facts about the Self Build Sector:
• There are currently about 14,000 new homes a year built by self builders – that’s about 10% of all housing, and 30% of all detached homes. The sector is currently worth £3.6billion a year, and safeguards around 30,000 construction jobs.
• The Housing Strategy aims to increase this by at least 10,000 a year – so an extra 100,000 homes over the coming decade.
• A recent survey showed that 53% of the population would like, at some stage in their life, to have a custom built home. One in three people want to do a self build project in the next five years; 12 % hope to be able to tackle a project over the coming 12 months. That’s more than two million households who would ideally like to undertake a project in 2012.
• In September 2011, more than 400,000 people searched for a building plot on Rightmove; more than 100,000 people subscribe to the three main plot finding websites.
• A quarter of would-be self builders would like to do it as part of a group self build project.
• Most people want to do a self build because it gives them the bespoke home they want; the cost savings (typically 30%) are also a big factor.